Thursday, August 16, 2007

Even if you don't feel it!

Something God has been teaching me is that what I feel is not always the truth. This lesson has taken a long time to learn, (at least it seems that way to me) but I think I'm finally starting to get it. It goes both ways, "I don't feel this" and/or "I do feel this". What's the truth? That's the question. I've had to ask myself this question so many times, and I fear I may never stop. I don't think I want to.

So here's the deal: Our emotions can lie to us. I think it's kinda funny that I'm writing this the day after I talked about allowing God to touch our emotions during worship. But these are not the same! I'm talking about persistent feelings of worthlessness and doubt. Feelings of bitterness and anger. Feelings of being unloved or unlovely. Hatred, self-doubt, fear, etc., etc.

Sometimes we can refuse to "feel" saved, forgiven, holy, pure, loved, new. When the reality is all these things are true about us if we belong to Christ. You are saved, forgiven, holy, pure, loved, new!...EVEN IF YOU DON'T FEEL LIKE IT!!!!

Beth Moore, in her Bible study Breaking Free, says that when we refuse to believe something God says is true, this is a sin! (She talks specifically about failure to believe God loves us.) So although we may not feel something is true, if God's word says it's true, it is! If we refuse to believe it, once we know the truth, we are choosing rebellion towards God! We then need to confess our unbelief as sin and ask God to help us! I love that God is so tender towards His children. We can say, "God I've sinned. I'm sorry. Help me." And he not only instantly forgives us, but He reaches out to help us. Isaiah says that God actually begins answering our prayers as we are asking them. He knows what we're going to ask...duh! He knows what we need! And He rises to rescue us even as we speak.

"To be transformed by the renewing of your mind" simply means this: let the Word of God change the way you think. When you feel something that just doesn't seem right, look for the truth and let it change your mind. And when the truth just seems beyond your grasp cry out to Him, "Lord I believe; help my unbelief." (see Mark 9:24)

No comments:

Look it up!