Saturday, February 16, 2013

Super-Healthy (and Delicious!) Pancakes

Whole Wheat & Flax Pancakes
 Finally! I got to make my pancakes! Now, of course, since we're on the track to better health I made a bunch of changes and crossed my fingers hoping that the "super healthy" version of my normally "super delicious" pancakes would be just as good. And they were...to all of our surprise and delight! I added blueberries, which Jeremiah did NOT like! He spit out the first bite and said it was too juicy. Funny he never does that when I add chocolate chips. We proceeded to cut every blueberry out of his pancakes, and he ended up eating like 4 of them in pieces. Silly boy!

I found this recipe in a fun little cookbook my MIL gave me. It has copycat recipes of restaurant meals, and this one is for IHOP buttermilk pancakes. Now I've always made a few healthy tweaks of my own to add bulk and make up for the butter and sugar, but today I went all the way. After a few calculations I have discovered that this recipe makes 12 pancakes each with 80 calories, less than 1 g fat, 16.6 carbs, 2 g fiber, and 2.5 g protein! (These calculations do not include blueberries, but those are practically free!) I think that is a win-win.

I cooked them on a griddle lightly sprayed with canola oil. And we topped them with all-natural maple syrup. Delish!

Super Healthy Whole Wheat & Flax Pancakes
1-1/4 cups Whole Wheat Flour
1 tsp Baking Soda
1 tsp Baking Powder
Pinch of Salt
1-1/4 cups Vanilla Soy Milk
1 Tbsp Ground Flaxseed mixed into 3 Tbsp Water
1/4 cup All Natural Applesauce - I used the cinnamon flavored kind from Trader Joe's.
3 Tbsp Agave Syrup - you can use honey or sugar or whatever you like, but I used Agave.

In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, soda, powder, and salt. In a separate bowl combine the soy milk with the flaxseed/water combo. Add to the dry mixture and stir until just combined. Add the applesauce and agave and mix it all together. At this point you can add any fruit or chocolate chips if you would like.

Scoop by 1/4 cupfuls onto a prepared skillet sprayed lightly with canola oil. I wipe down the pan between each pancake so there's no burnt oil or pancake bits, then spray again. Cook 1 to 2 minutes on each side until browned.

I had mine with a home made latte on the side. Thanks Josh!

No comments:

Look it up!