Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Tuna Salad in Lettuce Cups


One of my favorite lunches to eat with my mom and sis is a tuna sandwich with Ramen or chicken noodle soup. I don't know why we always pair these, but we do. The first time I suggested this as a lunch option to Josh, and subsequently every time thereafter, he said, "Um yuck!" Apparently it's not a conventional pairing, but one I've grown up with and love!

Josh did make my tuna eating experience much better the first time we made tuna together. I actually hate mayonnaise. It's something I cannot stand in a sandwich. I have always eaten them dry. I refuse to eat any sort of mayo-based salads... chicken salad, potato salad, anything with mayo...eeewww! There are only two exceptions I make. The first being tuna. I don't like a lot of mayo, but it's one way I will eat it. The other is on a freshly warmed corn tortilla. Just mayo. So good. I don't know why, but it's delicious. Trust me. Try it.

Back to my tuna making with Josh. He likes to add all sorts of things to his tuna that I would have never before considered. But since I have been expanding my food horizons, and since I could toss it and start over if I wanted, I decided to give it a go. These yummy little additions have made my tuna so much tastier. A far cry from the mayo only, and occasional pickles of my past.

I have also started adding veggies. Go figure. Tuna is another great way to hide vegetables. Dice them up really small and you've got lots of flavor and few complaints from the veg haters. Eating it in lettuce cups instead of bread will save you lots of calories, carbs, and even some fat!

Tuna Salad in Lettuce Cups
1 can Tuna
1-2 Tbsp Mayonnaise (you can always use a vegan-naise like the one at Trader Joe's)
Dehydrated Onion Flakes
Garlic Pepper
Red Pepper Flakes
Dill Relish
Diced vegetables - I've tried and enjoyed celery, carrots, tomatoes, red bell pepper.
Butter Lettuce

Start by removing any wilted outer lettuce leaves, then pull off the nice leaves whole. Rinse and pat dry. Next dice your veggies. If you want them really small you could even grate them or stick them in a food processor. Now assemble your salad. Dump the tuna in a bowl and add the mayo. I start with one tablespoon and then add more in necessary. Now add your spices and onions. I usually shake a goodly amount over my tuna. There's no measuring just pouring. Start with a little then add more if necessary.

If you've never tried dill relish you should. I resisted it for so long because I hate sweet relish (and sweet pickles) but it tastes exactly like chopped dill pickles. I have always eaten my tuna with dill pickles - it's yummy! I usually add about a teaspoon to start.

Now mix it all up and taste. You can add a little salt if you'd like. I usually add a dash. If it needs more of something, add it. If it needs less, make a note for next time because you can't take it out! Once you've got the mixture just right scoop your tuna into your lettuce cups. Perfection!


No comments:

Look it up!