Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Gratefulness

Sometimes life seems difficult, unfair, distressing, uncomfortable... I have found in those times the only way out is to take on an attitude of thanksgiving. It is really hard at first to count your blessings when all you can see is the "yuck" around you. 

Having our second baby has been pretty rough. All of my insecurities about being a good parent and basically not killing anyone in the process have risen to the surface. Add to that sleeplessness and dropping hormones and let's just say I've been better! But through it all I am reminded to just be grateful. Grateful that I have bottoms to clean and noses to wipe. Grateful for a toddler, let alone a time out spot. Grateful to have a newborn who wakes me up at night. Grateful for a husband without whom I would be totally lost and an even bigger mess. Grateful for a family who loves me and a support system of family members and friends who love and take care of me.

Philipians 4:6-7 says, "Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." I used to focus on verse 7. The peace of God is something we all want. But then I realized the command associated with the promise and I began to not only quote this passage but experience it. 

Anxiety is a big foe. It can be overwhelming and all-consuming. But God is bigger. When I start thanking Him for the wonderful blessings in my life and putting Him on the throne where He belongs, well, my problems don't seem so big. I still have to live here and deal with reality, but I do it knowing that my Papa will take care of me and see me through. Somehow it works every time.

No comments:

Look it up!