Saturday, January 19, 2013

Zuppa Toscana with Chicken Sausage



Today was a meat and potatoes kind of day. Yesterday I tried a pasta recipe that was not met with rave reviews so I decided to make up for it with a little comfort food. I found a Zuppa Toscana -- like the one from Olive Garden...mmmm -- recipe in a cook book that I have. I've always wanted to try it but never have. Well today was the day! It was pretty good. I only had chicken sausage and left out the bacon and cream but it was still quite satisfying. Next time I think I will cut the sausage back to a half pound and increase the potatoes to three.

Here's the recipe with my few little changes to make it a little bit healthier.

Zuppa Toscana
1 lb Italian Chicken Sausage
2 tsp Olive Oil
4 cups water
32 oz Vegetable Stock
1/2 Yellow Onion
3 Cloves Garlic
2 Russet Potatoes scrubbed and sliced
2 cups Kale, stems removed, chopped
S & P to taste
Parmesan

Heat the olive oil in a stock pot or dutch oven and add the sausage. Cook through and break up the pieces as it cooks. Scoop the sausage out and drain on a paper towel. In the same pot cook the onions and garlic till the onions are translucent and the smell is amazing.

Now pour in the water, broth, and add the potatoes. Heat and let simmer for about 10 minutes. When the potatoes are soft add the sausage back and simmer for another 10. Add the kale and season with salt and pepper to taste. Let it simmer for another 10 while the kale wilts.

Serve it up and sprinkle with Parmesan. So yummy!

No comments:

Look it up!